Detoxing your kitchen is part of reinventing your lifestyle. It's about cleansing the most important space in your living area (besides your bathroom and bedroom I think), and of course your body. We need to create a clean and healthy environment in our kitchen in order to make nutritious meals for our bodies. Here are some four simple steps that
John Ang (a yoga instructor and vegetarian chef in Taipei) has suggested ...

- Always use wooden cutting board
- Use purified water to wash your produce and cook your meals
- Use stainless steel products to cook your meals with
- Use organic dish soap to wash your dishware (there are so many organic products out there now, it's hard to know which one to choose, fun article to read about the CEO of Ecover, Mick Bremans voted as one of the Heroes of the Environment 2008)
Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI practice rules 1 and 3, and maybe mistakenly apply rule 2. Rule 4 sounds cool, but I am likely not to subscribe to it. Even though I did not deliberately pursue the use of wooden cutting boards and stainless steel, what other advantages exist for their use except material poisoning?
With regards to using purified water, I am assuming ordinary tap water does not count. But if you are going to be cooking or at least seeming the produce, does that not take care of purifying or making the water more whole?
Kwame,
ReplyDeleteI think you are one of my few friends that constantly challenge my words and opinions! Lucky you I usually am not a debater I tend yet I to try and answer your questions...so here goes.
1. That is great you follow steps 1 and 3 I think thats the most basic and hygenic form of cooking well in your kitchen. You are correct about material poisioning, thats basically it. Think of how people back in the day cooked, they didn't use plastic things did they? Mainly ceramics and steel ...
2. Ah purified water...the general population probably uses their water the way you have noted. If you wanted to go to the extreme to make sure that you are using really clean water that has been purified before reaching your tap I suppose you can say it reinforces the cleanliness of your water (regardless if it was boiled or not to cook with). I think the main point John was trying to say was that ordinary tap water still has bacteria in it even after we cook/boil it. It costs more money to get purified water built into your tap system sooo it's just a knowledge to have and to think about....i'm not suggesting everyone should redo their water system!
Hope that answers your questions.
I rest my case, lol! Good take on my questions:)
ReplyDelete